Monday, October 25, 2010

It's 'Pink Week' at I Heart Faces -- LOVE HER!

Love her...
Eight years ago this Christmas I repossessed the symbol of strength, grace, faith, and courage I'd designed for my mom when she commemorated her "1st Boob Birthday" (as she called it!). When she was told her battle was over she asked what I wanted of hers. I asked her if I could have the ring I'd given her the year before...but that wasn't the only thing she left me with.
Through her pain and fight I learned so much about who I am, can become, and where I came from. I learned just how truly cool my mom always was...even when I was too young to admit it. She didn't complain; she worried mostly about leaving her family, at just a few months over 50 years old. She died on Christmas Eve, totally fitting to her heart for Jesus and love for the Christmas season.
Below is a symbol of how I see her when I seek her...always young, always strong. I wear that ring on a necklace my dad gave her when I was little and it features a welded gold ribbon with a ruby in the loop, (for her July "Boob Birth-stone"), and an inscription of the day she lost part of her body, but grew in character, hope, and grace.

...miss you mom.

You can help save moms, sisters, wives, and daughters.
Visit The Breast Cancer Site daily and "click" to get sponsors to pay for mammograms.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18...'til then...

Thank you, I Heart Faces, for allowing us to share our photos and hearts for Breast Cancer Awareness!

15 comments:

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

love this...tears...

kaitie bryant said...

i just cried reading this... what an amazing legacy to leave you- her humor and love for the Lord. I am encouraged by this and thankful you posted it.

The Gaggle Photography said...

What a beautiful story and image.

Susan said...

How deeply touching.

I lost my mom when I was in my twentys.

I still miss her.

Your mom sounded like one amazing woman.

Sarah Hendrix said...

Lovely picture along with an amazing story. Thank you for sharing her story.

Catherine Grace Life Photography said...

This is beautiful.

Vera said...

Touching story, thanks for sharing. And a beautiful picture.

Heidi said...

Beautiful image and beautiful words. I lost my mom as well and miss her every, every day. Hug to you.

Rosie Fluegel said...

Such a touching story. I'm trying not to tear up, since I'm reading this while at work. Beautiful.

Captured Expressions said...

Very neat image!

Michelle Pixie said...

Thank you for sharing your Momma's story and yours. It is amazing the kind of insight you gain during moments like these. Beautiful capture! xxoo

Alexandra said...

Your Mom was an amazing woman and I am truly blessed to have known her.

Pippen Prints: Elizabeth Murray Design said...

A humble and sincerest thank you to you all for posting such sweet comments on this post. Makes me think I did my mom a little justice with just a few words. You all have lifted my spirits...God bless!

Abi said...

Oh wow this is such an amazing & touching photo.

Pippen Prints: Elizabeth Murray Design said...

Thank you, Abi! :) I really enjoyed viewing your work. Great site. =)